Friday, April 2, 2010

DB March 2010 Challenge--Orange Tian

The 2010 March Daring Baker’s challenge was hosted by Jennifer of Chocolate Shavings. She chose Orange Tian as the challenge for this month, a dessert based on a recipe from Alain Ducasse’s Cooking School in Paris.
I wasn't quite sure what to expect of this month's challenge, never even heard of an Orange Tian. I haven't really been a fan of citrus desserts (except lemon bars ^_^) so I proceeded without high hopes. This thing was like an upside down orange cream cake. It had many little steps, not too difficult. The bottom layer (which becomes the top) is a layer of orange segments that had been soaked in an orange caramel sauce. Oh, this was really good it could easily be a dessert on it's own, maybe with a dallop of whipped cream... The next layer is whipped cream with a little orange marmalade folded in. And then a layer of homemade marmalade, which was something I had never made before. It was quite simple and very delicious. I think I'll make it again sometime. And then, the last layer was a Pate Sablee. Kinda like a shortbread/butter cookie.

Rather than make individual rounds, I made it family-style in my 8x8 pan. This dessert ended up being really good. Light, refreshing, and tasty. I'll probably re-visit this one again. Next time I'll double the whipped cream and omit the marmalade layer. I enjoyed it but it was a little too strong in flavor for the kiddos. Check out the recipe here.




No comments:

Post a Comment