Friday, June 25, 2010

Daring Bakers May 2010: Piece Montee (Croquembouche)

Okay, I'm a little late but I finally got around to completing last month's challenge: a Piece Montee (croquembouche) or in plain English, a cream puff tower. I believe this is the French's version of a wedding cake.
The May 2010 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Cat of Little Miss Cupcake. Cat challenge everybody to make a piece montee, or croquembouche, based on recipes from Peter Kump's Baking School in Manhattan and Nick Malgieri.
*
I had already missed the May deadline but since this looked so good I told my kids I'd still make it. My daughter's birthday was June 9th, and she tells me this is what she wants for her b-day dessert. She says, If I say I want this for my birthday, you have to make it. Yes, that's what she really said. It was her way of getting me to actually complete the challenge. Well, it turns out that her birthday landed on the last week of school, which was a very busy week for me and she gave me the ok to make her something else.
*
I was still determined to make it so I attempted it on Father's Day. We had friends coming over for a bbq, it would of been perfect. Well, till the pate a choux turned out very runny and didn't puff up at all. It made good cookies though that my kids ate anyway. ^_^
*
A week later, since the creme patissiere was already done and sitting in my fridge, I made another attempt at making the shells. This time they rose nicely and looked great. Whew!
*
You can check out the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment